Monday, October 1, 2012

Unlikely nail polish tools

The inspiration for my nails this past week came from combining a few different pin-spriations...






The different techniques and tools that I used were painters tape and a sharpie.

First I started by putting lotion around my nails on my cuticles.  This is a two-fer deal!  My cuticles are conditioned, and if I happen to get any nail polish outside the lines, it can simply be wiped off.



I always add a clear base coat before any color.  I am a constant polish-picker.  So if my nails chip, I am able to peel off large pieces of my polish, and sometimes completely remove it.



To apply the painter's tape, I cut it into small strips.  Again, like my previous post while using reinforcement stickers, you'll need to take some of the stickiness off of the tape.  Painters tape is designed for painting walls, so even though it comes off of your wall smoothly, it can still take off your nail polish!

Once your tape is in place, go ahead and paint away!




I used the tape 2 different ways (only one is pictured).  The first way, as shown, was to paint with the tape covering my plain nail.  Then once my paint was dry, paint the top half of my nail, being careful not to leave any space between the paint.  This technique was a little difficult, and required a steady hand, however looked nice.  On my other hand, I painted my nail with a full base color, then used the tape to paint the top half (shown in the photo below).  Both techniques worked well for me.


After my nails were dry, before finishing with a final clear topcoat, I decided to add a little dimension to my nail by lining the different nail colors.  I had originally tried to do this with a bright blue color and a toothpick. That did not turn out well at all.  The results were me starting all over again!  So I found a fine-tipped sharpie  at work, and referred to one of the pins I had seen.  Using small strokes, I was able to create the look I wanted.  I waited for the ink to dry, but whenever I added the final clear top coat, the sharpie ran a little.  I liked how it looked, so I wasn't discouraged at all!


The color combinations and geometric designs are endless.  This was so easy and the result looks professional!  I was asked many times where i had my nails done!



Don't forget to follow my pinboards, and comment with any suggestions!!


No comments:

Post a Comment